Sunday, September 8, 2019

Week 1: Entangled in Biography

As I began to create my first post for the thesis class I was asked to create a title for my page. While ENTANGLED felt like the appropriate word, it didn't quite capture the sentiment that Dr. Zamora suggested we find in our topic.

I have spent a year now gathering material and interviews, photos, videos and mementos to prepare for my journey in crafting a biography of my mentor and friend. I am tangled up in the sheer quantity of information I have collected and yet can't seem to find the first piece. So I chose a title that was less accurate in feeling and more apt of intention: WRITING A LIFE.

Most recently I have been exploring performance study theory, biographical theory and feminist biography in particular. The topics have included an in-depth discussion of which voices are represented in a field and who decides who those voices are. Who defines history? And how do they use their voice to shape the interpretation of history in the future....

Originally I intended to have my thesis be something different from the biography I intend to complete. But I think that was naive. I have no idea how to proceed in writing a biography and certainly need the space to work through what I don't know.

With the help of Dr. Nelson, I have created two independent study courses that propel different aspects of this project forward. I have some clear ideas about how those pieces dovetail with the thesis part. A self-published book is my goal. However, I am also intrigued by the idea of an online component.

I have dreaded this first week of classes all summer as I have been overwhelmed with the idea of synthesizing the material I have gathered. This week I made small steps in diving into the writing. Small steps. Much of what I wrote was clunky, simplistic, and lacking in grace. But what matters is that I wrote, finally. It is a starting place, and now I feel freed up to move forward. I am grateful that the thesis class is two semesters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13: Writing My Way to Answers

I am not going to spend a lot of time on this post because I feel like every second counts. This past week was definitely the panic one. Ev...